10 facts about the Rostov Ripper
1. For the first murder committed by the maniac (the victim was an 11-year-old girl) was Alexander Kravchenko wrongly shot dead. According to one of the stories, the confession was beaten from him.
2. During the trial Andrei Chikatilo pretended hard to be crazy – shouted, took off his clothes and insisted that he was pregnant. Nevertheless, he was ruled sane by the expert examination.
3. After the execution of the notorious killer his relatives changed their last name to evade the reprisal of the victims’ relatives against them.
4. After the murderer’s death many research institutes desired to get ahold of Chikatilo’s brain for further researches. There is a story about Japanese scientists who offered 20 million dollars for the part of his brain.
5. Where was Chikatilo buried? So far only a limited number of people have known where there are the remains of the bloodiest killer as only close relatives and officials attended the execution and burial.
6. Chikatilo found most of his victims on railway stations or in carriages.
7. Nevertheless, Chikatilo’s son went crook: Yuri Odachev-Chikatilo killed his pal and went to prison for that. Yuri had never felt embarrassed at such a bloody relationship.
8. Although about 20 years had passed since Chikatilo’s execution, the memory still lingers on him including the Internet: new communities keep appearing on social networking websites, musicians compose songs about the maniac.
9. In 1946 little Chikatilo used to live in the countryside, in the starving time he would keep at home as he was scared of being eaten by other residents.
10. The maniac said he had often eaten the organs and body parts of the victims killed by him.